I love slow cooker recipes. There’s something about letting the flavors of you dish meld together for a few hours. Not to mention how increddibly easy it is to be able to throw your ingredients in and walk away! Today, I needed to create something easy with minimal dishes because our water heater is (FINALLY) being replaced after 3 days with on and off hot water. Plus i needed something to keep me occupied so I wouldn’t hover while the plumber was trying to do his job.
There is something very comforting about a great apple crisp. I love the way it makes your whole house smell like cinnamon-apple goodness. For this recipe I used one of my favorite types of apples, some beautiful red Gala apples.It has a beautiful mild sweet flavor because with all the brown sugar in this recipe we wouldn’t want it to be too sickly sweet.
The cinnamon-sugar apples is the perfect base for this dish. If you wanted to make your crisp a little more tart, you could always substitute Granny Smith apples for the Gala apples that I used today. I’ve done both and love them equally. Once you have the apples and the crisp ready to go, simply spread the apples out in an even layer in the slow cooker, and add the crisp on top. The amazing thing about this recipe is that the apples legitimately crisp in the slow cooker. The secret is to put a dish towel over the top, and then put the lid right over it. This soaks up all the extra condensation so that your crisp on top won’t become soggy.
Once its time to serve your dish, get a nice big scoop of your apples with crispy topping into a bowl. I like to serve mine A` la Mode with a heaping dollop of Vanilla Bean ice cream on top! This is a perfect dessert for winter/fall. I love serving it at Holiday parties because once I get it started I can focus on enjoying myself and not worry about pulling something out of the oven on time (which if you’re anything like me, once I get a few glasses of wine in I tend to forget about what I need to put in/or out of the oven.)
Hope you enjoy this Slow Cooker Apple crisp, because I sure did! (;
Slow Cooker Apple Crisp
Yield: 4 Servings Prep time: 15 mins Cook time: 3 hours
- 4 Gala apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
Cinnamon Crisp Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup uncooked old fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2.5 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Add apples and lemon juice to a large bowl and toss together. Add brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt and toss until combined.Put mixture into slow cooker in a nice even layer.
- Prepare the Cinnamon Crisp by combining oats, flour, brown sugar, and salt. Pour melted butter on top and combine evenly. Add to top of the apples in the slow cooker in an even layer. (Do not mix the two.)
- Put a dish towel over slow cooker and cover with the lid. Cook on high for 3-4 hours until the apples are soft and cooked through.