Sunday mornings are meant for being lazy and eating a lot of food, at least in our house. This is one of my favorite breakfast recipes. I use this for special occasions like birthday and christmas breakfasts/brunch. I just love how when you flip over the the bake onto your plate, the crispy bottom layer of the caramelized brown sugar looks. You don’t even need any syrup for this! Just some whipped cream on top will do!
Instead of regular bread, I like to use a crusty french baguette. The bread is thicker, and the crust makes the dish not as soggy as normal bread would be when all is said and done. We have a bakery in Sheboygan thats on my way home from work that also has the best fresh loaves. There’s nothing like getting your bread from an actual bakery. It just makes it all the more special.
Another factor in this recipe that makes it so good is the soak time. I usually let this sit over night just to make things easier for me in the morning but you can let it sit between 2-12 hours depending on how much time you have. This lets the bread soak in our egg/half and half mixture and the flavors meld together. This way you can quick throw it together before bed, and when you wake up, all you have to do is pop it in the oven!Creme Brûlée French Toast Bake
Serves: 6 Prep time: 2-10 hours Cook time: 35 mins
- 6 tbs butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2tbs pancake syrup
- 6 slices of a crusty baguette (1 inch thick cut into cubes)
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 tbs vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- whipped cream
- Add butter, brown sugar, and syrup to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 2 minutes and stir to combine everything,
- Grease a 9 by 13 inch glads baking pan with cooking spray and add the brown sugar mixture to pan.
- Arrange bread cubes over the top in a single layer over the brown sugar mixture.
- Whisk together eggs, half and half, vanilla, and salt and put mixture evenly over the bread.
- Cover pan and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, remove an from fridge and put in oven pre-heated to 350 degrees. for 35 minutes.
- Serve immediately with whipped cream and enjoy!