I’m always a fan of breakfast food that I feel like I can eat at anytime of the day. This is totally one of those recipes. I’m not a huge egg eater, but this one is something irresistible. The Marinara sauce and the basil with the egg is such a decadent, savory flavor. I love how the runny yolk tastes with it too. It’s simply perfect!
For this recipe, I used dried basil because thats what I had on hand at the time, but I bet this would be even better (and prettier) with fresh basil! This was so simple, and used only a few ingredients. I usually like to make this in a cast iron skillet, but any oven safe pan, about 8-12 inches will do! And always have a toasty baguette sliced up with this. Dipping it into the marinara and egg is literally the perfect combination.
Italian Baked Eggs
Yield: 2 servings Prep time: 5 mins Cook time: 15 mins
- 3/4 cup marinara sauce
- 1.5 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan
- 2 eggs
- pinch of dried basil, or 1tablespoon fresh if you have it
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray your skillet, or oven safe dish with cooking spray.
- Pour marinara into bottom of skillet and spread out evenly. Drizzle milk over the top of marinara, and then evenly spread the parmesan over the top of that.
- Crack the eggs into the skillet on top of everything, and season them with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until egg whites are solid and yolks are done to your liking.
- Serve topped with basil and a toasted baguette for dipping.