There’s something special about making tomato soup with FRESH tomatoes. It reminds me so much of summer when we have heaps of delicious ripe tomatoes. Yes, you have to go through the hassle of boiling and peeling the tomatoes, and roasting the garlic for this soup, but I think its those little extra things that make it so dang delicious! The addition of fresh basil and a sprinkle of asiago cheese puts this tomato basil soup over the top. One of my all time favorite recipes!
For this recipe, a key tool to have is an immersion blender. It makes this soup a million times easier because instead of putting batches of the soup into a regular blender and transferring back and forth between the pot and the blender (creating waaaaaaay too many dishes) you can blend everything right in one pot. I found my immersion blender at Walmart for about fourteen dollars. All in all, its a good investment for your kitchen.
Tomato Basil Bisque with Roasted Garlic
Yield: 6 servings Total cook&prep time: 2 hours
- 3lbs roma tomatoes
- 1 large head of garlic
- 3 and 1/2 tbs olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 28oz can crushed tomatoes
- 14oz chicken broth
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- shredded asiago for garnish
- Pre heat oven to 400 degrees F. Cut top of garlic head off, just enough to expose the cloves and leave skin on. Place on baking dish and drizzle with olive oil. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Bring large pot of water to a boil while garlic is baking. Place tomatoes in boiling water for about 3 minutes or until the skins burst. while tomatoes are boiling prepare a large bowl with ice and cold water. Once skins burst on tomatoes, transfer them into the ice bath for about 1 minute or until cool. Peel and dice the cooled tomatoes.
- Heat 3 tbs of olive oil in a large pot or dutch oven. Add diced onion and cook until translucent. Add in diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and basil.
- Peel and mince the garlic and then add to soup. Bring mixture to a boil and then reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered for 45 minutes.
- Puree soup with an immersion blender (or do batches in a blender.) Stir in heavy cream.
- Serve with croutons and asiago cheese, if desired.