It’s been quite awhile since i’ve been actively writing recipes in here, but its just been such a busy spring and summer for us! We FINALLY are settled into our new house. It was quite the fixer upper, and is still a work in progress. I just hope we never have to see another roller or paint brush for a LONG time. When we bought the house, every single room was a different, very vivid color. The previous owners clearly had no interest in using painters tape when they did this either. There were kids drawings all over the walls and doors, even on the deck. Gum, candy, and stickers stuck all over the once beautiful bamboo floors and marble tile. I ended up taking a week off of work just to sort all this out. Now, everything is painted in shades of grey, the floors are free from sticky stuff, and MOST of the drawings (including, but not limited to a friggin’ pentagram drawn in what once was one of the kids’ rooms) are covered up. Life is good, the house is livable. But, as soon as tax season hits, we’ll be living in a construction zone again for our full kitchen remodel (which I CANNOT WAIT FOR!)
It feels amazing to finally be back into the groove of creating and cooking, so I came up with this yummy thai chili chicken recipe for you. The crispy fried chicken in the sweet chili sauce goes great with a steaming bowl of rice underneath, topped with some cilantro and sesame seeds. I make this whenever I have a craving for chinese takeout. It’s much healthier, and guaranteed to be fresh when you make it in your own kitchen!
Crispy Thai Sweet Chili Chicken
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 tbs oil
- pinch of salt
- 8oz boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Oil for deep frying
- 1 tbs oil (separate from deep frying oil)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 tbs Thai sweet chili sauce
- 1 tsp lime juice
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp sesame seeds
- 1/2 tbs cilantro leaves
- Heat up a wok with enough oil to cover all your chicken when you start frying (about 2 inches should do it)
- Mix all ingredients for frying batter. Cut up chicken breasts into bite size pieces and add to batter mix, fully coating each piece.
- Once oil is fully heated, add coated chicken into oil. Fry until golden and crispy. Place on paper towel lined plate to soak up extra oil and set aside.
- Clean out oil from wok and return to heat, adding the 1 tbs of oil and garlic to it. Cook for about one minute until the garlic is aromatic. add the fried chicken, sweet chili sauce, lime juice, and salt into the wok.
- Stir together until chicken is fully coated in sauce. Serve immediately and top with sesame seeds and cilantro.