Being in the midst of football season, I like to pull out some of my favorite game day friendly recipes. These Italian sausage sandwiches are not only a crowd pleaser, but incredibly easy to make, because who wants to be stuck in the kitchen when you could be in front of your TV enjoying game day!
We recently just came back from a trip to the Tampa, FL area, and I am definitely experiencing some post-vacation blues already. Even though it wasn’t the warmest out, we had a blast. Our first day, we did have some nice weather in the high 60’s, which was a treat because it was New Year’s Eve. We spent our evening with close family on a tiki bar on the ocean. I’ve never been able to spend my NYE in a place where the air doesn’t hurt my face, so this was quite a treat. The next 3 days of our trip, the temperature dipped down into 40’s and low 50’s, but i’m not going to complaining because back home in Wisconsin they were in single digits. My cousin and her fiancé took us around the St. Pete and Clearwater areas and we spent New Years Day eating some amazing sea food at a few different restaurants, including the best crab dip I’ve ever had at Brass Monkey on St. Pete’s beach. The next day, my husband and I went to Busch Gardens and had some really cool animal encounters, did a few coasters, and had an amazing buffet at a restaurant i can’t remember the name of. Our trip went so fast, that i can’t believe I’m sitting in my bed typing up a blog right now!
Back to this recipe, these garlicky, cheesy sandwiches have an amazing crispy bun, flavorful meat, and are one of my all time favorite recipes. They’re loaded with Italian sausage in a spicy tomato sauce, tons of provolone cheese, fresh herbs, and red onion to top it off. My favorite part is the garlicky butter that we spread over our sandwich rolls before popping them in the oven. Its to die for. Enjoy!
Italian Sausage Sandwiches with Garlic Butter
- 1/2 cup butter (room temperature)
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1lb Italian sausage
- 14oz can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1 tbs chopped basil, plus extra for topping
- salt to taste
- 4 sandwich rolls
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- chopped red onion for topping
- Combine all Garlic butter ingredients in a bowl. Mix until completely combined and then set aside.
- Brown the sausage in a large pan. Then add the tomato sauce and red wine. Simmer for about 15 mins. Remove from heat, and stirring 1 tbs chopped basil and season with salt. Set aside.
- Slather Garlic Butter onto rolls inside, and on top. Toast in oven until butter has melted, and rolls have crisped up a little.
- Remove from oven, and place 1 slice of provolone, and 1 slice of mozzarella into each roll, followed by the sausage mixture. Then top with another slice of provolone.
- Turn oven broiler to high, and place sandwiches under it until cheese has melted.
- Remove from oven and top with more chopped basil and red onion. Serve immediately!