I love cheese. Emphasis on the LOVE part. So naturally, I love a good macaroni and cheese. It’s even better when its not the kind from a box, but made with different varieties of delicious, gooey, melted cheese. Add in some roasted garlic and fresh herbs, and we have an absolute winner here.
Roasting your own garlic sounds like a hard step, but it makes a real difference and it is SO easy. The part that takes the longest is literally just letting it sit in the oven. All you have to do is cut the top of your garlic bulb off to expose the cloves, put the bus on a sheet of foil on a cookie sheet, and then drizzle it with olive oil and a little salt and pepper. wrap it up in that foil its on top of, and then throw it in the oven for 45 minutes. This cuts the bitterness out of the garlic, and makes it so easy to get the garlic out of the bulb! Added bonus: your house will smell AMAZING while your garlic is roasting.
Roasted Garlic and Thyme Mac n’ Cheese
Serves 4 people. Prep time: 15 minutes. Cook time: 1 hour.
- 1 Head of Garlic
- olive oil for drizzling
- salt and pepper to sprinkle on garlic
- 2 cups uncooked macaroni noodles
- 4 tbs butter
- 4 tbs flour
- 2.5 cups milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 cups mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups pepper jack cheese, shredded
- 2 tbs fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut about a quarter inch of the top of your head of garlic and place on a piece of foil on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Wrap entire head of garlic in the foil and bake for 40 minutes. Allow to cool, and then use a fork to remove the garlic cloves. Mash them and set aside.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Cook Macaroni to al dente and drain.
- Melt the butter in a large pot or skillet. Whisk in flour and stir, constantly for about a minute. Slowly whisk in milk to form a roux and heat to a simmer.
- Whisk in your cheeses and let them melt. Then, add in thyme, pepper, and salt. Stir in the macaroni and mix. Remove from heat and let stand for a few minutes so sauce can thicken. Serve immediately!